What to do when your phone gets wet - a trick that really worked for me

Tuesday, March 8, 2011




I once accidentally soaked my iphone overnight.

I had a bowl of water near my bed that I'd been soaking an injury in earlier in the day, and when I went to sleep I was so exhausted I didn't realize that the phone managed to find its way into said bowl of water.

The next morning I freaked out when I discovered the tragedy. I began scouring the internet for something, anything that would help.

I read about taking the phone apart, putting it in the oven, leaving it in the sunshine, and several other home remedies. Eventually I came across one that people were swearing by, and it seemed so crazy I thought "this just might work".

It turns out it did! One week later and my phone was back to normal. There haven't been any problems with it whatsoever.

So how do you fix an iphone that's been soaked in water?

Rice.

Yep, rice. I used instant because it's what I had on hand. After removing the SIM card and putting the phone in the cut-off toe of some panty hose (to make sure no bits of rice got inside) I sealed it in an air-tight bag of rice. I then put the bag of rice + phone in a tin and left it alone for a week.

Seven days later I retrieved it without much hope that things would work. Much to my surprise and delight, when I tried to turn it on a little apple popped up on the screen.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, the most important thing is do not try and turn the wet phone on. Even if the water hasn't done any damage yet, you could wreck the electronics inside by trying to turn the device on. Be patient, do what you can to dry it out, and only then try and push buttons. Again, I left mine in the rice for a whole week to make sure before I tested it. You also want to make sure the bag is as air-tight as possible so that the rice will absorb moisture from the device and not from the air.

I hope you'll never need this piece of advice, but if you do I hope it helps! It won't work for everyone, but it worked extremely well for me.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda said...:

    I dropped my phone in the bathtub and did the rice trick and it worked! Funny thing is my hubby in the meantime, ran out and bought me a new updated phone...lucky me! :)

  1. Blissmum. said...:

    Great advice. I know lots of people who drop their phones down the toilet (not sure why they have the phone in the bathroom)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
© Miss Mnemosyne | The Blog Full of Games |